Learn about the four types of immigration statuses and how they may affect you. Find out how to get experienced legal help with immigration in Texas. 

1. American Citizens 

An American Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States of America, is either a person who was born on U.S. land, or someone who has been “naturalized.” 

A permanent resident may be eligible for naturalization after three or five years of living in the United States as a permanent resident. American citizens cannot be deported and enjoy many public benefits. 

2. Conditional or Permanent Residents 

A permanent resident, sometimes called a Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) is a person who has been given permission by the U.S. government to live and work in the U.S. permanently. For example, an immigrant that has married an American citizen and has received their green card is considered a permanent resident. 

However, immigrants that have been married less than two years prior to the receipt of their green card are considered conditional residents. In this case, both spouses must file for the removal of conditional status two years after the immigrant spouse receives their green card. Otherwise, the immigrant risks deportation. 

3. Non-Immigrants 

Non-immigrants are people who have been allowed to live and work in the United States on a temporary basis. Often, they don’t have an intention of immigrating or becoming a permanent resident. 

For example, students, tourists, and business executives with the proper visas are considered non-immigrants and can reside in America according to the terms of their specific visa. Upon expiry of a non-immigrant visa or violation of its terms, an immigrant’s status will be changed to undocumented. 

4. Undocumented Immigrants 

Undocumented immigrants are people who are living in America without approval from the United States government to do so. These individuals may not legally work in the U.S. and do not have access to any public benefits like food, housing, and healthcare assistance. Undocumented immigrants are at risk of being deported at any time. 

Get Help With Legal U.S. Immigration Today 

Get the help you need immigrating to the U.S. legally from experienced Texas immigration lawyer Eluid Zavala. Whether you’re undocumented, your visa has expired, or you’re applying for a green card, we can assist you.

Contact our office to discuss your immigration status and find out what steps you need to take to become a legal American citizen. Call now at 713-766-6720.