Petitioning for a relative starts with filing a form called I-130 with the department of homeland security. Filing for a petition for a family member can get personal for both you and the family member. We are here to help make your petition as seamless as possible and to answer all of your concerns when it comes to putting your family back together. 

This I-130 form will have information from you such as:

  • Work history
  • Spousal history
  • Residencial history
  • Information on your parents 
  • Biographical Information
  • Beneficiary
  • Petitioner information

Who is considered a relative?

Eligibility for application as an immediate relative of the U.S citizen qualifies as:

  • Spouse
  • An unmarried child (Under the age of 21) of a U.S Citizen
  • Parent of a U.S citizen. The child has to be at least 21 years old to be eligible.

Other relatives of a U.S citizen or lawful permanent resident (All have to be 21 or older):

  • Unmarried son or daughter of the U.S citizen
  • Brother or sister of the U.S citizen 

A family member of the lawful permanent resident:

  • Spouse
  • Unmarried child (Under the age of 21)
  • Unmarried son or daughter (21 years or older)

How long does the I-130 take?

Estimated times according to the USCIS website:

  • 5-7 months for a permanent resident filing for a child under the age of 21 years old
  • 5-7 months for a permanent resident filing for an unmarried son or daughter over the age of 21

7.5-9.5 months for a U.S citizen:

  • Spouse, parent or child under the age of 21
  • Unmarried daughter or son over the age of 21
  • Married daughter or son over the age of 21
  • Brother or sister

Get Help With Your Family Petition

The application process can be complicated as well as frustrating and due to the time constraints involved, it can be heart-breaking. Your family member may often ask what the hold up is, or why it is taking so long. We understand these frustrations and are here to help guide you.

Please feel free to call me for a case consultation at (713)-766-6720.